Coronavirus forces Italy to suspend Serie A, all sport activities till April

Coronavirus has forced Italy to suspended the ongoing Serie A and all sport activities until at least 3rd of April as announced by the country’s prime minister Giuseppe Conte.

This suspension will not affect Italian clubs or national teams participating in international competitions.

Recall that Serie A matches are already being played behind closed doors until 3 April.

Giuseppe Conte extended a series of strict quarantine measures, including a ban on public gatherings, to all of Italy.

Earlier, Italy’s Olympic committee (CONI) recommended the move to suspend all sport at all levels after hosting a special meeting of sporting federations on Monday.

Italy has been the European country worst hit by coronavirus so far, with over 9,000 confirmed cases and more than 450 deaths.

“This situation has no precedent in history,” a
CONI statement said.

The announcement from CONI came just after Sassuolo v Brescia kicked off in Serie A.

The game carried on and Sassuolo won 3-0.

It was also confirmed on Monday that Serie A side Roma’s Europa League tie at Sevilla on Thursday will be played behind closed doors.

In rugby union, England’s men’s and women’s Six Nations matches against Italy, which were scheduled to take place on 14 March and 15 March respectively, were postponed last week.

At the weekend, Italy’s sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora accused Serie A of being “irresponsible” for ignoring his calls for football to be suspended because of the outbreak.

He said it made “no sense” for football to continue when, at that stage, up to 16 million people had been placed in quarantine in northern Italy in a bid to contain the spread of the virus – but the weekend’s games all took place behind closed doors.

%d bloggers like this: